Superconducting Vector Magnet Systems
Janis Research Company offers a series of vector magnet systems that include two or three magnets with variable temperature cryostats that operate down to
10 mK and up to 800 K.
Janis Research Company offers a series of vector magnet systems that include two or three magnets with variable temperature cryostats that operate down to 10 mK and up to 800 K. The sample environment can be in helium vapor or liquid (He-4 systems and He-3 systems) or in vacuum (He-4 systems, He-3 & dilution refrigerator systems). These systems offer individual or simultaneous operation of the magnets with separate power supplies for each magnet. The resultant vector addition of the magnetic fields can then be manipulated to achieve very precise and repeatable magnetic fields that vary in magnitude and angular position (relative to the sample).
Changing the direction of the magnetic field relative to the sample can be achieved either by rotating the sample itself or manipulating the magnetic field direction. The first option is easily done when using a horizontal field split pair magnet while rotating the sample mount around a vertical axis. Another approach is to use a straight solenoid installed with its axis along the vertical direction, combined with one of our horizontal axis sample rotators. These rotators can offer precisions between 1 and 0.2 degrees with magnetic fields ranging from 5 up to 17 Tesla. Vector magnets have the advantage of offering an angular resolution that is orders of magnitude smaller, with no mechanical movement of the sample.
Typical standard designs available include:
- An 8 T/ 2 T two axis magnet for optical studies between 1.5 K and 300 K;
- A 9 T/ 1 T two axis magnet for atomic force microscopy in a UHV environment at 0.3 K (He-3 cryostat);
- A 9 T/ 3 T two axis magnet for scanning tunneling microscopy experiments between 1.5 K and 300 K in a UHV environment;
- A 9 T/ 4T two axis magnet for experiments between 1.5 K and 300 K in a rotatable vector magnetic field (8 T/ 1 T, 7 T/ 1.5 T, 6 T/ 2 T, 5 T/ 2.5 T, tested to 5 T field at 45 degrees) with a dual magnet power supply and associated software for simultaneous magnet operation; and
- A 2 T/ 1 T/ 1 T three axis magnet for neutron scattering experiments between 1.5 K and 300 K.
Contact Janis today for further details.
Vector Magnet Systems
|Sample Environment ||Operating Temperature ||Magnetic Field ||Optical Access |
|Vacuum or helium vapor/liquid ||10 mK - 800 K ||5 - 17 Tesla ||Yes |
Product Selection Guides
Other news at Janis